Thursday, August 6, 2009

Acceptance

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
I am hoping to change what I can, improving myself and my perception of self. I know I can not change anything with my arm without the help of a medical professional, but there are still things I can do. I am thankfully otherwise healthy, so why not? Exercise helps you sleep better and releases endorphins that actually make you feel better. Better than antidepressants! NOt to mention the benefits to the skin and all the internal health benefits.
Working off baby weight can be tough for anyone, but workout routines for those who are disabled are sometimes not possible without extra effort. The videos you can buy in stores are devastating to the self esteem (as I have totally experienced first hand) and I don't even want to think about how a disabled person would attempt a class at a gym. Without an explanation to the instructor, I'd feel like he/she would think I was just being a slacker. No one wants to be "THAT GUY". Obviously, I won't be pumping iron to beef up, but getting more active will certainly help me feel better by changing what I can. I do wish it were easier to find activities to do, but with a little work, I am sure I will come across things that are doable and enjoyable and not monotonous. Also, since my husband knows about personal training, I can use him as a resource. Now just to find the time and energy to get workouts in!!
No more excuses, I will find things I can do and stop beating myself up about the things I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment