Sunday, August 9, 2009

Forgetting

When I got pregnant, I simultaneously became insanely stupid. I apparently forgot everything I ever knew all because this little person was growing inside of me. As my little one got bigger, I seemingly continued to get dumber. I was told that this pregnancy "side effect" would go away (eventually.....maybe not until my child started attending school however) so I am slowly but surely regaining my functioning gray matter.
One of the craziest parts of my forgetfulness is that I just realized I forgot about how other people perceive me. A lot of people don't know me as a mom (or even my nickname,"Momma"); they just know me as who I was before I became a mom. And I do suppose I have changed since taking on my new role, but I really didn't think of the extent. My own mother said to me that she didn't imagine me as a breastfeeding mother. I'm sure some people I know never would have thought to see me as a stay at home mom either. I don't believe that people are surprised by my new role as a parent, but its just not the first thought that comes to mind when they think of me.
All this being acknowledged, I wonder if I am acting differently. Besides the obvious lifestyle change of becoming more of a homebody and talking more about diapers and spit up than gossip and partying, I wonder if I am noticeably different in the social situations I have. Admittedly, I am probably a bit happier to be out without child since it happens so infrequently, but is there anything else? Is it different to be with me? Is it harder or different to be my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment